Old 03-08-2008, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Stephen[_5_] Stephen[_5_] is offline

Default beans: disappearing flowers

Hello,

I posted another question about beans with black flies on. The same
bean plants have lost their flowers. It's quite strange really, the
stalks are there but there are no flowers on the end.

I read in "the veg. expert" book that sparrows can peck the
(red) flowers off, thinking they are berries. Do you think this is
what has happened? I haven't seen any birds do this. It's not related
to the flies is it? How do I prevent this next year: netting to keep
birds off?

Thanks,
Stephen.