Old 05-08-2008, 01:51 AM
Fluffball Fluffball is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotty View Post
Please can someone give me some advice on planting wisteria. I bought a plant from the garden centre for £18 that has 3 stems on it going round a bamboo cane (approx 3-4ft tall). Questions I have a-

1) Most of the websites recommend training one main stem of wisteria and branching off the side. Mine has 3 young stems. The wife says she wants to plait it, at the moment they all go round the bamboo stick the same direction. To do this I would need to completely untangle it, and plait it. Is this wise? Is it better to have one, why do garden centres sell them with 3 on them?

2) Its now July and I have read about pruning wisteria in August. Im guessing I dont need to prune mine at all as I want the upward growth, unless I get side shoots?

3) The wall of the house Im growing it on isnt South or West Facing. At the moment it is summer and it gets sun early morning until about 1pm. I take it this does not fulfill the definition of "full sun", and my flowers wont be as good as one in full sun. Will I still get a decent show, if pruned well?

Many thanks

A confused person with a wisteria
1) If you try platting it, the Wisteria will expend energy untangling itself. Ideally it will want to wind around strings or poles at its own pace and it will want to twist in the specific direction that it is already doing on the poles.

2) You don't have to prune it and you may not want to prune it this summer, especially if it is small. It will probably take a few years before it will flower.

3) I would be worried about the location you are trying to planting it in. They really do like lots and lots of sun. It might grow large and leafy, but may never flower.
East Berkshire
United Kingdom