Old 04-08-2008, 07:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Poole Dave Poole is offline
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon
Default Yucca ID

On Aug 4, 4:44 pm, "Mike Derby"
wrote:
"Steve" asked:

Could someone ID this yucca for me please?
http://i34.tinypic.com/727fkp.jpg
Also, it is about four foot from the house; will the roots damage
the foundations/building?
Thanks.

I think your Yucca is Y. aloifolia. The roots shouldn't damage the
foundations of your house. If in doubt, cut any before they do reach
the building.

MD

Steve, if the leaves are very hard (ie almost as if they were made of
wood or metal) with seriously sharp, needle-like tips, then Mike is
probably right. However, they look somewhat broader than is typical
for Y. aloifolia and the leaf colour is too bright as well. I'm sure
it is Y. elephantipes, which does not have sharp tips to the leaves
and is usually bright green when planted out. It is usually sold as
an indoor plant, but has proved remarkably tolerant of our UK climate
in the south at least. I grow both species in the garden and
aloifolia is absolutely treacherous to brush against, whereas
elephantipes is barely more dangerous than a Cordyline. As to the
roots, they will not damage building and cannot push through
foundations, so no worries there.