Old 04-08-2008, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kase[_2_] Kase[_2_] is offline

Default Tomato Puzzlement !

"p. pleater" wrote in message
We've been picking tomatoes for the past two weeks or so and whilst the
quantity of fruit per truss is normal, the size of individual toms is very
small this year.......about 60% on a truss are the size of cherry types
such as Gardeners Delight !

We've never had this problem before. The compost mix, watering, feeding,
greenhouse ventilation and variety (Shirley and Gourmet) etc are all as
previous years, but the toms are just small !
Even my single plant of Beefsteak type has undersize fruit.

No signs of disease or pests. Peppers and chillies using the same compost
are great.

As most of the toms are ripe or colouring nicely its probably too late to
do anything about increasing the size this year but I wonder if anyone has
suggestions to prevent this happening in future.

Plants are in 3gall buckets on the greenhouse floor.

Best Regards...pp

Same here, last year the Gardeners Delight were almost golf ball sized, this
year they are tiny, like marbles!! And the trusses are extremely elongated.
I'm glad it's not just me, I was worried.

Kase
Manchester