Old 05-08-2008, 08:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default new to wisteria

In article ,
says...

Please can someone give me some advice on planting wisteria. I bought a
plant from the garden centre for £18 that has 3 stems on it going round
a bamboo cane (approx 3-4ft tall). Questions I have a-

1) Most of the websites recommend training one main stem of wisteria
and branching off the side. Mine has 3 young stems. The wife says she
wants to plait it, at the moment they all go round the bamboo stick the
same direction. To do this I would need to completely untangle it, and
plait it. Is this wise? Is it better to have one, why do garden
centres sell them with 3 on them?

2) Its now July and I have read about pruning wisteria in August. Im
guessing I dont need to prune mine at all as I want the upward growth,
unless I get side shoots?

3) The wall of the house Im growing it on isnt South or West Facing.
At the moment it is summer and it gets sun early morning until about
1pm. I take it this does not fulfill the definition of "full sun", and
my flowers wont be as good as one in full sun. Will I still get a
decent show, if pruned well?

Many thanks

A confused person with a wisteria

If you leave the cane in place it will destroy it in a couple of years
after which the stems will appear to wind around themselves, after a
period of time these will grow together to become one solid stem and form
a knarly trunk, platting would acheive no different result after a few
years so is hardly worth the effort. most important thing is to give it a
heavy watering every two to three weeks until its leaves change colour in
autumn (despite the present weather!)
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk