Old 05-08-2008, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider Spider is offline

Default Carol Klein - does she HAVE to overemphasise ??

"Rachel Aitch" wrote in message

I'm delighted to read this post because I really DON'T like Ms Klein.

I find her voice grating, her accent annoying, her appearance
ingratiating (silly fluttering of eyelashes looking up into camera) and
I wish they'd replace her.

The final straw for me was her pronounciation of Hee-mer-OCK-a-lees.

Flying in the face of public opinion, I also didn't care for Monty Don
very much - what happened to his eyebrows?

Finally, I've gone off the other bloke, Joe someone: in my opinion he's
turning into a garden version of Jamie Oliver with his mock norf
Lunndunn lispy accent, and his horrible turns of phrase.

I appreciate that they can't bring back Alan Titchmarsh (shame, shame)
but I hope that they'll try some different faces. Perhaps then I can go
back to watching it.

Oh, and does anyone else feel a bit Sarah Raven-ed out? When she first
came on the show, I thought she was wonderful: big girl, not chosen for
her looks, sensible country wellies and comfy clothes, keen and easy to
listen to. However, after a year or two of reading her articles in GW
mag and the Telegraph, every thing she says is followed by "these
flowers available from S R cutting garden" or "this course now being
run by S R cutting garden" or "this tool marketed by S R cutting
garden" and it's all starting to feel like one big plug for her
commercial enterprises.

There, I'm done now.

Rachel Aitch

I've never really taken to Joe Swift, either. It's not the lisp, or the
accent; he seems too flippant and airy-fairy. In fact the Husband Thingy
thinks he's limp-wristed - not a good trait in a gardener. Sarah Raven is,
as you say, becoming too commercial for her own good, but I could listen to
her voice all day. She used to be a GP, and that's easy to imagine: her
voice is very down-to-earth-soothing- you know-it's-good for-you. It's the
only bit of her I like.

I saw a recent GW prog with Toby Buckland and would like to see more of him
before I make up my mind, but he's definitely got potential. Bob Flowerdew
might be an interesting contender, but we don't see enough of him. Chris
Beardshaw is improving, maturing, but he's still too pretty and far too
clean. He's also too design orientated; I appreciate design, but I'd prefer
a presenter with more in-depth plant knowledge.

What really bugs me is the way the powers-that-be abandon our GW whenever
there's a prom concert, football match or other sporting event waiting to be
slotted into the schedule. It makes me spit cobwebs!

Spider