Old 05-08-2008, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Volunteer tomatoes

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008 21:58:39 -0500, "Marie Dodge"
wrote:

wrote in message
I kept transplating these tomatoes to the veg. garden, where they
flourish like mad. Not a clue as to what variety is what, but I trust
they will all taste good. If all goes well (no wilt, please heaven)
there will enough to can -- first time in several years. Other good
thing is that the plants are different sizes, so the smaller ones will
bear longer (?) than the big ones.

Anybody have similar experience?

Yep! I had Roma tomatoes sprouting everywhere this summer. The seeds had to
be in the compost we spread everywhere. Many of them are already bearing
ripe fruit. There's also 2 watermelons and a monster cucumber plant.

Not in Cleveland, Ohio anymore, but I recall a full-size fruit-bearing
tomato growing in a sidewalk crack. Ohio has the most perfect
climate in the world for growing tomatoes. My Husky tomato
(transplant) has been the best producer this year and the cherry
tomato is producing which is a volunteer (in e.TN.)

This growing season has been strange--some plants that do better are
doing worse and vice versa. My coleus usually gets 4-feet across, but
not this year even with more rainfall. Peppers, cucumbers, and
blueberries are exceptionally strong and producing. Radishes and corn
were very weak.