Old 05-08-2008, 11:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steve[_26_] Steve[_26_] is offline

Default Yucca ID

Dave Poole wrote
On Aug 4, 9:38 pm, Steve wrote:

The leaves aren't very hard and no needle-like tip, so I think that
rules out aloifolia, though the leaves are stiffer than yucca
houseplants, which are very flimsy compared to this.

When they are grown indoors or under shade, the leaves are very floppy
and a much darker green. Given full sun and Y. elephantipes
transforms into a far more substantial plant and may even reward you
with a very dense spike of large, green tinted cream flowers.

Thanks for the explanation.

When I've pulled off the older leaves, I've received a paper type cut, which
I don't think I could get from a cordyline or yucca houseplant. I
suppose this could be down to the size of the plant.

I've had these 'paper cuts' from Cordylines as well as Y.
elephantipes. Much less painful than being stabbed ... no,
monumentally punctured by Y. aloifolia!

My Y. e. ran up to 10ft. before I chopped it a few years ago. Now it
has formed several branches and is taking off again. I reckon it to
be one of the fastest growing Yuccas and it can easily put on a foot
of trunk each year given the right treatment. By contrast, Y.
aloifolia is rather slow, but very determined nevertheless. I'm very
fond of my plant because of sentimental attachments, but I could never
recommend it to others - too damned dangerous. It is commonly known
as 'Spanish dagger' and believe me that is no exaggeration.

I believe you :-). The needle points on my gloriosa and baccata
are painful enough when they get me. When I remember I cut the
tips of the needles off.