Old 06-08-2008, 02:46 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cineman View Post
Has anyone else noticed how many weeds grow in the new peat free alternative
composts ?
This year seems to be worse than last, growing annuals from seed I am
constantly trying to weed within a couple of centimetres from plants without
pulling plants up as well.
I am not certain but suspect that this is partial result of local authority
recycling with insufficient heat and time given to the rotting process.
anyone else more authoritative on this subject?
regards
Cineman
I agree - it is very likely that the compost makers are not properly rotting down the material. And since they take what is dumped, it will also contain noxious weeds so a longer period of rotting down and maintenance of heat is needed.