Old 06-08-2008, 09:10 AM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default Hay fever. Whats the best way to attack it?

"Jon" wrote in message
u...
Question Hayfever:::
I've just been in the garden and have an allergy to my garden.
Whats the best easy way to avoid it besides not going into the garden.
Its gets worse every year.
Skin itches, sneezing coughing and runny nose, when this happens.
I'm a tough bloke but this has got me wheezing and avoiding my husbandry
duties (in the garden that is)

I do a fair bit of gardening work and the hayfever for some plants are worse
than others. Here are some that get me:-

Pine Trees when in flower
Olive trees in flower
Ivy anytime - is very dusty and full of mights
Rosemary - never used to bother me but a customer has a hedge of it and the
dust kills me.

For others it will be grasses in flower. I did see something about asthma
weed being a killer but have not encountered it in WA.

I was doing a job pruning Ivy on a fence. My eyes just ran and my nose ran
as well. I was suffering so bad that when I knocked off for lunch I got some
antihystamines from a chemist. They were a non drowsy type called Claratyne
I think. I was over it in ten minutes.

Just before xmas I had to clear a 70 metre long wall by 2 metres high of
ivy. I took the same stuff without a hint of the sinus problems. I did wear
a mask as well and at the end of a day I had to dispose of it because it was
caked in the dust. I also wore sunglasses and they had to be cleaned a bit
too.

If you can locate something doing it to you get rid of it or dose up.

My ivy allergy is nothing compared to a lady 2 doors up from me. She comes
up in welts and that's from airborne dust.