Old 06-08-2008, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default dirty peat free composts

Ca you be more specific as to where you are finding the problem? Do you
mean commercial peat free composts? (if so - any in particular?) Or do
you mean local authority composts? Or do you suspect that local
authority composts are being sold on to commercial producers of compost?

I use New Horizon and don't find a weed problem (although I did in the
early days - it seems to have improved in quality in the last few
years). My own compost, otoh, gives me abundant crops of annual
euphorbias. So I use New Horizon for seeds and small plants, and my own
compost for large pots.

cineman writes
Has anyone else noticed how many weeds grow in the new peat free alternative
composts ?
This year seems to be worse than last, growing annuals from seed I am
constantly trying to weed within a couple of centimetres from plants without
pulling plants up as well.
I am not certain but suspect that this is partial result of local authority
recycling with insufficient heat and time given to the rotting process.
anyone else more authoritative on this subject?
regards
Cineman

--
Kay