Old 06-08-2008, 10:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default OT OT OT OT one of life's surprises

Sacha writes
Late this afternoon I went to the swingbin that we keep by the back door
that leads from the tea room lawn into the tea room kitchen. There are
several notices asking the public not to use those doors because trays
carrying hot drinks go in and out of those exits/entrances. The swing bin
contains bird seed with which we top up the many bird feeders in the garden
and nursery.
I opened it today and guess what I found, left by a thoughtful visitor to
our garden, which is open, free of charge, to the public. A DIRTY NAPPY.
Lucky moi. So - not only did I have the dubious honour of disposing of the
nappy correctly, the remaining seed in the bin has been thrown away.
Thankfully, it was very low. I cannot, surely, be the only person who
despairs of the behaviour of other people? Some of our children have
babies; they all carry a breakdown kit which includes new nappies and bags
for dirty nappies. Neither they nor I would *ever* have invaded someone's
house to throw away dirty nappies. As you may see, I'm truly appalled.
People are most definitely more rude and less considerate or respectful than
they were even ten years ago. I'd like to know where our perps live
because this weekend we've had 3 children in this house, all wearing
nappies. I could have given the wrongdoers a compost heap they'd never
forget if I knew their address!

Very annoying and unpleasant for you. As self-protection in the future,
you could add a notice to the swing bin saying 'bird feed' - the
perpetrator probably genuinely believed it was a rubbish bin. We have a
black wheelie bin salvaged from a pond which we use as a temporary
compost bin when it's too miserable to take the compost to the bin at
the end of the garden, and occasionally visitors add a plastic bottle or
similar, which is quite understandable, though irritating.
--
Kay