Old 06-08-2008, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default dirty peat free composts

"beccabunga" wrote
cineman;808337 Wrote:
Has anyone else noticed how many weeds grow in the new peat free
alternative
composts ?
This year seems to be worse than last, growing annuals from seed I am
constantly trying to weed within a couple of centimetres from plants
without
pulling plants up as well.
I am not certain but suspect that this is partial result of local
authority
recycling with insufficient heat and time given to the rotting
process.
anyone else more authoritative on this subject?
regards
Cineman

I agree - it is very likely that the compost makers are not properly
rotting down the material. And since they take what is dumped, it will
also contain noxious weeds so a longer period of rotting down and
maintenance of heat is needed.

Time is money!

--
Regards