Old 06-08-2008, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.birds
jadel[_2_] jadel[_2_] is offline

Default PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Smooth Rose

On Aug 6, 8:30*am, Jack Schmidling wrote:
This is the only wild rose around here that is not a pest.

Most of the growth dies off in Fall and it re-grows the following
Spring. In addition to the lovely and simple pink flowers, it is the
only wild rose I know of that is thornless.

--R. blanda-- grows here in N Central WV, too. I have it in my garden
and know the person who discovered it in this county. --R.
palustris-- occurs here as well. So does at least one other native
rose, but I forget which.

R. moyesii is a thornless wild rose, but it is native to Asia (IIRC)
I have it, too. Unfortunately, deer love to munch its new stems.

J. Del Col