Old 08-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Keith and Wendy Slonecker

Default shortcut on dividing hardy lilies?

Greetings all:

I have a quick question to see if I can shortcut the tast of dividing my
hardy lilies. I have a 3000 gallon pond with koi. my 9 lilies have been in
their pots for 3 years now. several have long "pineapple" like growths that
have split out the top edge of the pots, however, the area where the gravel
is has a nice 4 small plants coming up already, nicely spaced.
I had shoulder surgery 8 weeks ago and cannot lift or fiddle around with the
pots this year so I got to wondering if I could just take a knife and cut
off that pineapple thing and then insert a fertilzer tab or two into the
soil and then re-pot the left over piece in some kitty litter or something
like that in another pot? Seems like an awful lot of engery for the plant to
sustain that big ugly pineapple when there are 4 nice little baby plants
with leaves already starting out that are IN the pot, not hanging outside.

Anybody ever try this?

thanks,
Wendy in Oregon
PS: our water temp here is still hovering at 48-52 degrees.