Old 08-04-2003, 03:09 PM
Gene S

Default Freeze Tuesday night?

Thanks, Marta.

I guess I'm just suffering from shell shock, as the last
one got down to 27 degrees out here in the metropolis
of Briggs. The figs were really looking great, massive new leaves -
now they are really sad ;little brown sticks with potential.
Decided to put the entire garden "around" each of the
orchard trees, as they are drip irrigated. If this
works, I will never go back to rows. It seems like a neat
way to take care of the orchard trees, as well as eliminate
the row garden. And yes, 25 orchard trees are a lot of garden
space. We'll see how it all works out:-)

Gene

--
E-mail:

"Wayfarer" wrote in message
Gene, since you got down to 28 last time there seems to be a good chance

you
might be in danger (100 plants? How sore are your backs?). I've tried

the
tarp route and paper and sheets and covering individual plants with pots

and
the pots (in your case cups) seem to work best -- anything the touches the
surface of whatever is protecting the plant may suffer damage and the

little
pot or cups holds the warm air around the plants without crushing them.

In
Denver they sold a product (can find in catalogues) called a "Water well"
that was very much like a kids floatie or instead of filled with air they
were filled with water --

--
Marta
(if you email me directly you need to remove the X )