Old 07-08-2008, 07:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
David Hare-Scott David Hare-Scott is offline

Default Garden Incinerator

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message

I already have a compost bin on my allotment but wonder if there is any
need for a garden incinerator as well? I'm referring to those small
galvanised metal bins with holes in them and a lid on top with a small
chimney.

No use that I know of.

What exactly are they used for? Apart from burning say, perennial weeds
such as bindweed, I cannot see why I don't chuck stuff straight onto the
compost heap and let it compost there.

Does anyone here use one?

They are good for annoying the neighbors and turning organic matter into smoke
and ash where its use is much more limited.

Some weed seeds will survive composting unless your compost pile is hot. This
takes more effort than a cold pile.

David