Old 07-08-2008, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider Spider is offline

Default Cactus flower

"Pete Stockdale" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
Spider writes
Thanks, John. I'll take your advice (and add it to Kay's!) and buy a
globular flowering cacti next time. My non-flowering cacti was kept in
the downstairs hallway which, although heated, was not nearly as warm as
a living room. I now have a (cold-in-winter/hot-in-summer) garden room,
so perhaps I'll over-winter my new cacti there - with a frost-stat of
course!

Important thing is to keep it bone dry over winter if you're keeping it
in the garden room. In Yorkshire, I stop watering mine at the start of
September and don't start again until May.

There isn't really enough light in winter, so it'll be happier in a
dormant state in a cold (but not below freezing) garden room than in a
warm centrally heated house where it'll be trying to grow.
--
Kay

Thanks, Kay, that really helps. Now all I need is the plant. Mmm..I
feel a GC visit coming on.

I could do you an old echinops at a very reasonable price.
Are you anywhere near ?
BTW they are about to flower again !

Regards
Pete
www.thecanalshop.com

That's such a kind thought, thanks Peter, but I'm bloomin' miles away in SE
London. Don't worry, a friend owes me a trip to the GC, so I'll have a
browse there.

I do appreciate the offer, though.
All the best,
Spider