Old 07-08-2008, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
JustTom JustTom is offline

Default Garden Incinerator

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008 17:31:52 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

I find a use for our "incinerator". Posh word for something that is
actually an old and quite rusty 44 gallon drum with the top and bottom cut
out. It has a very rough 8 inch square hacked out on one side and shoved
inwards so I can shove some kindling and a fire lighter inside to set it
going and it has a series of slots hacked into it with a tomahawk all the
way round the base. I use it to burn blackberry brash, fruit tree prunings,
weeds I can't be bothered to lug to the trailer or can't fit into it and a
variety of other things. It lives in the orchard which is about a quarter
of an acre and serves as the chook's day yard. At this time of the year
when it's perishing outside, there is nothing like a burn off of stuff.

If the fruit tree branches are organic, they make great smoking
material for slow BBQing. Or good rabbit chews depending upon the
tree. Apple is best.