Old 08-08-2008, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Garden Incinerator

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

At this time of the year
when it's perishing outside, there is nothing like a burn off of stuff.

This is for those who have fun on a small scale. Round here they are
likely
to set fire to a few hundred acres.

:-)) That is why we burn now and not in a couple of months time. I'd be as
popular as a rat in a pantry if I set fire to either our pasture or the
neighbours.

Quaint custom. Gets rid of weeds in the
pasture you know.

Hmmph. I'd say that is pure ********. Weeds love a good clear soil to
resprout into. Sounds to me like you have some lazy farmers near you.

Gets rid of lots of organic material and nitrogenous
compounds too that would be better off in the soil. But it's cheap. And
fun.

Do they leave knuckle marks in the soil as they walk?