Old 08-08-2008, 07:10 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture,sci.chem
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default spaghetti sauce with apple and chokecherry juice apple harvestand canning; good news and bad news

One night of canning I had extra apples and was about to do some
tomatoes with onions for spaghetti sauce
I add a pinch of chili peppers also, but was always frustrated by the
yellow color of the spaghetti sauce and
could not figure out how tomato paste is so red. Do they actually
process tomatoes fully ripe or overripe to
get that red color? Or maybe I just use most of the tomato whereas the
processors use only the red parts?

Anyway, I thought of a way to overcome my lack of red color. I simply
add chokecherry juice. Did this
tonight and the color is a nice red although still not matching tomato
paste.

Also another problem with my spaghetti sauce is that it is too
liquidy. I like to see more pulp. So I
added some apples and crushed them in the heat so that the constitency
is more of a sauce than
a liquid.

Overall I am happy with my end result although it is nothing compared
to the spaghetti sauce in
my youth made by a woman who was expert in spaghetti sauce.

I keep experimenting until I find something that may be a winner. But
until then I have to add a
small can of V-8 juice to make my spaghetti sauce good enough.

Also, maybe there should be a sci.cooking, or perhaps
sci.chem.cooking.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium