Old 08-08-2008, 01:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Des Higgins Des Higgins is offline

Default chillies

On Aug 8, 12:19 pm, Pam Moore wrote:
I've not grown chillies before, but now have 3 plants, about 18 inches
high, grown from seeds from a bought chilli.
I have had them on my kitchen window ledge, but the flowers keep
dropping off. I don't think I've under or over watered.
There are now some small fruits forming but near the top of the
plants.
I put them outside about a week ago, and the next morning found a
biggish slug half way up a stem, so I brought them in again, minus
slug!

What do others do? I know there was a long discussion about chillies
a year or so ago but I passed it over, not being interested at that
point.
Are they better outside with the slugs or on the window ledge until
colder weather?

Are they self-fertile or do they need insects to pollinate?
TIA

Pam in Bristol

I am a beginner with chillis but have done them a few times. Seeds
from shop bought ones can be disappointing; it is a matter of luck.
They do grow VERY slowly. It is common to start them very early in
the year just to give them enough time to produce fruit. They do like
as much heat and light as you can give them. Just now, I have 4
plants in a greenhouse that are only about 18 inches or a bit more,
high. They each have about 4 or 5 fruits, all green. I expect them
to go red in due course but I may have to be patient (especially given
current weather). These ones are big (some Italian variety, from
packet seed). You can use them now (green) but the taste can be
disappointing if you pick too early. It improves with age and
colour. I do not think they need pollination but that is a guess. As
to which location is best; hard to tell, sorry. Whichever is
brightest and hottest?