Old 08-08-2008, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Muddymike Muddymike is offline

Default Compost Making. Utterly Confused!!

"Mike" wrote in message news:Pc0nk.409$EL2.204@trnddc01...

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message
Making compost seems to have become such a scientific skill that I am
now quite wary of even starting to do so, lest I end up with some smelly
sickly sludge that it no good for anything.

Ed

Scientific!!!
Nah, I just pile everything in to a wire mesh frame until its over full,
leave it until it drops to about half full, spread it on the garden. Works
for me see;
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...e.10280?sort=5
This one is about 8 ft square and has now been filled way over the top of
the frame, and is now well on its way back down again all by itself. The
other one is about quarter full, should take another 18 months to completely
fill it. the only other thing I do is cover the full one with and old bit
of carpet. I lifted a corner last weekend and there were loads of little red
worms working away under it.

Yea I know, I even take pictures of the compost heap, if you rummage around
you will even find the second one half empty.

Mike