Old 08-08-2008, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Freezing Runner Beans

On Aug 5, 12:52*pm, Gordon H wrote:
Now that I am picking more beans than I can eat, I have to resort to
freezing some for later use.

I have Googled and found as many contradictions about precise methods as
there are pairs of contributors. * *;-)

*From a consensus, I propose to wash and slice diagonally into 1/2 " wide
pieces, drop into boiling water for 2 minutes, drop in iced water for
several minutes, then dry and freeze.

The last time I did this many years ago I bagged them after drying and
put them in the freezer. * * When we used them, they were stuck together
to some extent and iced up in the plastic bags. * * *We learned to make
up smaller portions... * ;-)

Today's reading suggests that I should leave them to dry more
thoroughly, and place them in the quick-freeze compartment on a baking
tray, rather than toss them in a bag.

Any comments on the methodology?

It is a given that they will not taste as they do when fresh, but in a
stir-fry with corn fed chicken, some Chinese veg and my favourite
sauces...
--
Gordon H

I used to wash etc., now I don't, I do what the French do and that is
pick, prepare and freeze dry, forget blanching. They have been doing
this for generations and it obviously works, so when I get enough, as
yet, not enough for us to make a meal on, then I will freeze the
glut.

Judith