Old 09-08-2008, 04:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
CrazyGardener CrazyGardener is offline

Default accelerating tomatoes?

On Aug 8, 7:45*am, George wrote:
We have about a dozen tomato plants (Cherokee Purple, Better Boy, Super
Marmandes, Brandy Boy). *Lots of good-sized tomatoes ... all GREEN.
It's been a wet summer, which I suspect it will continue to be. *And,
we're losing sun anyway.

Is there a way to push to ripen faster? *In particular, would pruning
help? *I heard once that you should cut back new growth that won't have
time to mature. *OTOH, my past experiments with pruning have just
produced very low yields. *Maybe cut the small fruits and new flowers?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
George
Zone 5+, CNY

If you can still find them, get red plastic mulch. This will really
speed up ripening. Check out this website for great gardening tips
and lots of pictures
www.littlegardenpatch.com they have some tomato tips on there too.