Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Freezing Runner Beans

On Aug 9, 9:21*am, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 8 Aug 2008 17:16:43 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Aug 8, 10:47*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Gordon H" wrote in message

Now that I am picking more beans than I can eat, I have to resort to
freezing some for later use.

I have Googled and found as many contradictions about precise methods as
there are pairs of contributors. * *;-)

From a consensus, I propose to wash and slice diagonally into 1/2 " wide
pieces, drop into boiling water for 2 minutes, drop in iced water for
several minutes, then dry and freeze.

The last time I did this many years ago I bagged them after drying and put
them in the freezer. * * When we used them, they were stuck together to
some extent and iced up in the plastic bags. * * *We learned to make up
smaller portions... * ;-)

Today's reading suggests that I should leave them to dry more thoroughly,
and place them in the quick-freeze compartment on a baking tray, rather
than toss them in a bag.

Any comments on the methodology?

It is a given that they will not taste as they do when fresh, but in a
stir-fry with corn fed chicken, some Chinese veg and my favourite
sauces...

My grandfather, who didn't have a freezer, always used to salt them in jars.
He would visit just before Christmas Day to give us some.
He was a magnificent gardener.- Hide quoted text -

I tried that Christina, many years ago, far too many in fact!!!! *They
were horrid when I cooked them and I threw out the entire stock of
jars that I had, the old type pot sweet jars. *I remember buying rock
salt, and layering the beans and salt but I'm sure I did something
wrong, they were awful.

There is a local Dutch family who made a fortune out of selling salted and
pickled vegetables to UK. They were conveniently located across a canal from the
vegetable auction. The owner thought most of the stuff they exported was used on
ships. I find salted vegetables disgusting too.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

I wonder how they were able to sell the stuff? I have eaten
cornichons in a light herb pickled water, they are nice but again I
would prefer to eat all my vegetables fresh.

Judith