Old 09-08-2008, 01:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Leeks being destroyed - Onion maggot?

In article
,
" wrote:

Hello,
Something is eating away at my leeks. Small larvae type grub or worms
2 - 5 mm in size are found well down between the base of the leaves.
They leave behind a trail of mushy green debris. I think that they are
probably onion maggots. Is this possible, and is there anyway of
getting rid of them? I really like my leek and potato soup so any help
or advice is very appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Do you plant your leeks in the same area? If so a rotation may be in
order. Has the weather been damp ?

Where do you live in general terms?

Bill taking a break from cleaning a septic trap.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA