Old 09-08-2008, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] jd_um_hoste@rogers.com is offline

Default Leeks being destroyed - Onion maggot?

On Aug 9, 8:31 am, Bill wrote:
In article
,

" wrote:
Hello,
Something is eating away at my leeks. Small larvae type grub or worms
2 - 5 mm in size are found well down between the base of the leaves.
They leave behind a trail of mushy green debris. I think that they are
probably onion maggots. Is this possible, and is there anyway of
getting rid of them? I really like my leek and potato soup so any help
or advice is very appreciated.

Thanks,
John

Do you plant your leeks in the same area? If so a rotation may be in
order. Has the weather been damp ?

Where do you live in general terms?

Bill taking a break from cleaning a septic trap.

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Hi,
Yes, planted in same area as last year, but that is only the 2nd time
in this area.
Weather here has been very damp, rain everyday in varying amounts.
I live Eastern Ontario Canada. Not sure what the zone is,.

John