Old 09-08-2008, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default garden and house valuation

In article ,
says...
I put garden first in the subject as I am wondering if the garden plays much
of a part when a house is being valued, any one know ?

kate
Gloucestershire

unfortunately the garden is seen quite differently by different groups,
size matters because it increases value but only due to the possibility
of selling for developement or extending the house, tidy and colourful
help sell it but don't increase the value, while a "Proper garden" we
were told by an estate agent is a hinderance as most people don't want
upkeep (please note we were not trying to sell ours! - he was a garden
visitor) according to this (just one) estate agent what realy shifts a
propety is a small to medium private space prefereably sunny and heavily
hard landscaped with few plants and minimum maintainance.
But there must be people like me who just wanted a big garden to garden
it! I suspect the answer comes down to how long you are prepared to wait
for the right person to come along.
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk