Old 09-08-2008, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2 Rusty Hinge 2 is offline

Default chillies

The message
from "Graculus" contains these words:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message

I've not grown chillies before, but now have 3 plants, about 18 inches
high, grown from seeds from a bought chilli.
I have had them on my kitchen window ledge, but the flowers keep
dropping off. I don't think I've under or over watered.

Probably neither. They like plenty of water, but not to the extent of
waterlogging. I try to keep a little water in the saucer/tray under
mine, but often forget.

They are quite forgiving.

There are now some small fruits forming but near the top of the
plants.
I put them outside about a week ago, and the next morning found a
biggish slug half way up a stem, so I brought them in again, minus
slug!

Put some slug pellets round the pot?

What do others do? I know there was a long discussion about chillies
a year or so ago but I passed it over, not being interested at that
point.
Are they better outside with the slugs or on the window ledge until
colder weather?

In a sunny position, I'd say they're better outside. Mine are presently
in a sort-of upright cucumber frame, and get sun until about 3 pm.

Are they self-fertile or do they need insects to pollinate?

I'd guess the flowers will self-pollinate, as my Jalapinos are brought
inside for the winter, and go on cropping.

If you're in or around West Sussex this weekend, it's the Chilli Fiesta at
West Dean (the West Dean near Chchester, not the one near Eastbourne)
http://www.westdean.org.uk/site/gard...nts/chilli.htm

You've missed the Norfolk one TAAAW.

Remember, chillis are perennial - or at least, last for several years,
and can be pruned when they become a bit straggly.

I feed them with tomato fertiliser.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig