Old 10-08-2008, 02:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_5_] Billy[_5_] is offline

Default Can I freeze tomatoes until I have enough to can a batch?

In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 15:33:31 -0500, Omelet wrote:
In article ,
AZ Nomad wrote:

On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 13:53:19 -0500, zxcvbob wrote:
Steve Young wrote:
"Omelet" wrote:

Blanch and peel first. You could also stew them and can them as a
sauce. ;-d

Even turn them into ketchup. Anyone tried their hand at this?

Every gardener should make ketchup once in their life. You take a half
a bushel of fresh tomatoes, some vinegar and salt, and a bunch of
expensive sugar and spices. Cook them down for about 6 hours (Careful!
Don't let it burn!) When you're all done, you have a pint or two of
ketchup that's almost as good as the 20 ounce bottle of store-bought
ketchup you could have bought for about $1. HTH :-)

**** that, what's the point? It's like going to the trouble of
squishing grapes, fermenting it, letting it spoil just to make vinegar.

Want vinegar? A little left over red wine, some extra sugar, and a
kombucha culture.

I've been cooking with some of the best red wine vinegar made that way
lately!

shoom.
right over your head.

Nah, 'shroom, right over your head, if you ain't sitting on it,
you may have notice that this is a group of adults. If you need a
scatological crutch for writing, you may be happier in another
news group where feral adolescents and potty mouths are more
common. Probably never heard of "balsamic" either.

Oh yeah, you raise an interesting point Om. Fresh garden tomatoes
are obviously better than those red cardboard things that are sold
commercially but I'm thinkin' that cooked romas (garden or store bought)
probably taste the same. Of course with the store bought you get the
value added of pesticide residues without the burden of additional
nutrients (bioflavonoids) that comes from plants struggling under
less than ideal environments (gardens). But all the same, my impression
is that cooking a store bought tomato improves it, perhaps even to
rivaling the REAL deal.

Any opinions?
--

Billy