Old 10-08-2008, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Can I freeze tomatoes until I have enough to can a batch?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Oh yeah, you raise an interesting point Om. Fresh garden tomatoes
are obviously better than those red cardboard things that are sold
commercially but I'm thinkin' that cooked romas (garden or store bought)
probably taste the same.

Have you ever grown Romas? I have. The home garden ones are much richer
and sweeter. ;-d

My favorite are plum tomatoes.

Even sweet 100's can be peeled and stored. They are so small, blanch
them and pop them out of the entire skin with a gentle pinch. Not as
much work as you'd imagine.

Of course with the store bought you get the
value added of pesticide residues without the burden of additional
nutrients (bioflavonoids) that comes from plants struggling under
less than ideal environments (gardens). But all the same, my impression
is that cooking a store bought tomato improves it, perhaps even to
rivaling the REAL deal.

Any opinions?
--

Billy

See above. :-)

There never is, and probably never will be, a good comparison in flavor
between store bought and vine ripe tomatoes. The only ones that come
close are the cluster "on the vine" tomatoes that our local store sells.
They are worth the premium price, but I'd still rather hit the local
farmers market if I've none of my own on hand.

If I over-produce (which is common for tomatoes in season sometimes),
I'll just use the smaller pressure cooker and can a few in a couple of 1
pint jars.
--
Peace! Om

- Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)