Old 10-08-2008, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default garden investment

Charlie Pridham wrote:
In article ,
says...
The thought sprang to mind "wouldn't it have been more cost effective to
have simply given £40,000 to charity?" Though they now have a garden to
enjoy, and some increase in value of the house, and the pleasure of
sharing their garden with other people. I dunno. I suppose the 14th Open
Day they will start to make a "profit" in monetary terms, and all the
other things do have a value.

If they spent that to get to be in the yellow book thats a bit sad,
especially as numbers can drop in years to come. but if the garden was
their passion I suppose its their money! personally I think I would have
trouble enjoying it if I knew that much money had been spent, for me its
doing or growing it myself thats the attraction, there are so many more
important things you could do with that sort of money. But it may be they
had huge problems to have a garden like large retaining walls or
renovations of old structures in which case it may have been unavoidable
expense

When I see these stupendous gardens that I envy I often wonder how they
got them that way and how they maintain them. My poor thing takes all my
spare time and a fair about of money, yet I don't think anyone would
come to view unless I paid them. £40,000 does not surprise, how much
more will they need to keep it up to scratch?