Old 10-08-2008, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default garden investment

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 12:01:26 +0100, K wrote:

Kate's question on garden and house evaluation reminded me of a
programme I caught 5 minutes of, on preparing a garden for the Yellow
Book Scheme.

I may have got it completely wrong, but what it seemed to be saying was
that the owner's purpose was to raise money for charity through the
Yellow Book scheme, and was delighted in their first year's open day to
have raised £3000.

Earlier the presenter had made the comment that the owner had "invested"
£40,000 in the garden.

The thought sprang to mind "wouldn't it have been more cost effective to
have simply given £40,000 to charity?" Though they now have a garden to
enjoy, and some increase in value of the house, and the pleasure of
sharing their garden with other people. I dunno. I suppose the 14th Open
Day they will start to make a "profit" in monetary terms, and all the
other things do have a value.

If it is the programme I think it is then yes £40k was quoted. However
the couple had just had a new house custom built which must have cost
millions. In their former property then had had a garden which they had
opened for the Yellow Book for many years and were hoping their new
garden would also get in the book.

I would agree that £40k is a stupendous amount of cash but given their
apparent wealth it's probably all relative. It was clear the lady of the
house was both an enthusiastic gardener and loved having been in the
NGS. Their new garden was accepted on the basis that people would see
it develop over the years which I guess would create interest for
people.

Having visited a decent number of NGS gardens over the months there are
undoubtedly people who do have the cash to make truly wonderful
"demonstration" gardens. They're good to look at but I tend to find
that those gardens that have been honed and developed through sheer
determination, hard work and enthusiasm tend to be that bit better.

--
Paul C