Old 10-08-2008, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] rossr35253@forteinc.com is offline

Default Can I freeze tomatoes until I have enough to can a batch?

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 20:32:48 +1200, "George.com"
wrote:

wrote in message
news
On Sat, 09 Aug 2008 13:53:19 -0500, zxcvbob
wrote:

Steve Young wrote:
"Omelet" wrote:

Blanch and peel first. You could also stew them and can them as a
sauce. ;-d

Even turn them into ketchup. Anyone tried their hand at this?

Every gardener should make ketchup once in their life. You take a half
a bushel of fresh tomatoes, some vinegar and salt, and a bunch of
expensive sugar and spices. Cook them down for about 6 hours (Careful!
Don't let it burn!) When you're all done, you have a pint or two of
ketchup that's almost as good as the 20 ounce bottle of store-bought
ketchup you could have bought for about $1. HTH :-)

Bob

Ain't that the truth!
We tried our hand at it one year when we had a real glut of tomatoes
but, we ended up with about 12 liters, not one or two pints. And, like
you say, it was almost as good as store bought. The real saving grace
was the fact that a couple of the grandkids liked it better than the
store bought so we were able to unload a bunch.

you lot must either have really excellent supermarket tomato sauce or really
crap recipes for making it yourself at home. I got a recipe from the guy
across the road this year & made some great tomato suace. Beats the store
bought crap hands down.

rob

I was referring to making ketchup, not tomato sauce. There's a big
difference.
We make tomato sauce every year and it most certainly is better than
store bought.
For the amount of ketchup we use, making it is worth neither the time
nor the effort.

Ross