Old 10-08-2008, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default chillies

Rusty Hinge 2 writes
The message
from "Graculus" contains these words:
"Pam Moore" wrote in message

I've not grown chillies before, but now have 3 plants, about 18 inches
high, grown from seeds from a bought chilli.
I have had them on my kitchen window ledge, but the flowers keep
dropping off. I don't think I've under or over watered.

Probably neither. They like plenty of water, but not to the extent of
waterlogging. I try to keep a little water in the saucer/tray under
mine, but often forget.

They are quite forgiving.

Yes. I've regularly let the leaves flop on mine.

There are now some small fruits forming but near the top of the
plants.

I find the first few flowers often don't set, but after that it's fine.
Sounds like the same is happening here.

Are they self-fertile or do they need insects to pollinate?

I'd guess the flowers will self-pollinate, as my Jalapinos are brought
inside for the winter, and go on cropping.

Self pollinating almost certainly. Certainly you need only one plant,
and, like Rusty, I've had good crops from a single plant indoors.

Remember, chillis are perennial - or at least, last for several years,
and can be pruned when they become a bit straggly.

Yes. They don't like winter, but they will live through it indoors.
Alternatively, they do very well from seed.

The fruits freeze well. Just tuck them in a small plastic bag, take one
out when you need it, drop it into the food whole, or hold it by the
stem and snip it (still frozen) with scissors. That way you don't get
chilli burns when you rub your eyes during cooking!

I feed them with tomato fertiliser.

Most things where you're after flowers or fruit work well with tomato
fertiliser. OK, probably best to get the 'correct' fertiliser for each
group of plants, but if you haven't got that many, it's easier just to
have one fertiliser that you use for everything.

--
Kay