Old 10-08-2008, 06:51 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Delurk, background, first questions

On Sat, 9 Aug 2008 22:00:31 EDT, kathy wrote:

All algae thrives on sun, fresh water, fish waste, plant waste,
blown in dirt.

We must STOP this myth, pleasssse. "The fresh water myth." We have
people in the koi club with 24/7 flow thru, changing out 10%/day. There is
NO green water in their ponds. Fuzzy good algae on the sides yes, but not
suspended algae (makes the water green).

Algae thrives on sun and nutrient rich water. Fresh water, from the tap, is
not nutrient rich. And unbalanced pond also causes green water.

To 425couple, the reason your ponds are not clear this year is because your
fish have grown and you probably have too many for your ponds. How many
fish and what sizes are they? Have they added to their environment by
created more? It doesn't sound like you know for sure how many gallons you
have, most people over estimate.

Cheapest solution to problem, WATER CHANGES, take some out, put fresh in.
Got a problem? 10%/day till the problem clears up (you may have to decrease
the population). No problems, 20%/week minimum.

Turn on the pumps 24/7.

We have lots of pond clubs in the PNW. See AKCA.org for one near you.
~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us