Old 10-08-2008, 06:53 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Nan & Rich Zitney Nan & Rich Zitney is offline

Default Good Summer Successes

On Aug 9, 1:38 pm, ~ jan wrote:
Awful quiet out there. Are people on vacation or just having good success
with their ponds this summer?

One of my successes was taking a mesh basket and putting foam insulating
tubes on the edges so it would stay afloat. Then I tossed in some water
cress. The water cress grew well, then bloomed and went to seed. I trimme

those off and the water cress really took off. It is now covering my 22"
diameter prefilter. The best thing it is so easy to remove to clean the
pre-filter without disturbing the plants at all. Just lift, drain, sit in
the shade and drop back in when finished cleaning. So much better than WH
that looked so bedraggled when one put them back.... not to mention they
dropped so much crap & roots back into the filter.

Next I'm going to try reviving my one sickly WH by putting it's end roots
in some mud, see if that will green it up in a low population pond.

How about some success stories? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds:www.jjspond.us

Hi All,
Our pond has been wonderful since we did 2 things: one was get a UV
light, which DH runs 3 days thn turns off for about a week: The 2nd
was put quilting batting in one of the filter barrels.

We are feeding fishes instead of noses~!!!! We can even see the all
black gf that was previously invisible. It is so much nicer to sit
and watch them glide around and interact with each other than it was
to wait for a quick nose & mouth grab a piece of food and disappear
into the green.
No wh this year or last as we have water celery that has been doing a
great job.
Hope everyone else has been having a great summer with their wet
pets!!
Nan & Rich in DE