Old 10-08-2008, 10:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Delurk, background, first questions

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 14:08:29 EDT, kathy wrote:

Okay, how about - fresh water added to the pond can
be a concern if your water source is heavy in phosphorus?
Is a problem in some areas of the country where they
are actively trying to rid their reservoirs of phosphorus.

I could live with that, and what Derek mentioned.

Unfortunately people don't include the minute chance and it gets turned
into "fresh" water. I don't really consider phosphorus-rich or nitrate-rich
water as "fresh". See nutrients. ;-)

As far as chloramines, etc. if one has a balanced pond, good filter,
plants, etc. the change outs, are still better than none at all. The
chlorine will degas or detox on the organics in the pond, the ammonia will
be taken care of in the filter.

The OP said she was in the PNW. Do you know of any phosphorus problems
city-water-wise in the PNW? I've never heard it mentioned from other pond
clubs. Now in farming areas, some wells do have a nitrate problem to the
point the people connected to it need reverse osmosis or use bottled water.
Even in that case, as good veggie filter would take care of it before it
hit the pond. ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us