Old 10-08-2008, 10:38 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
~ jan[_3_] ~ jan[_3_] is offline

Default Delurk, background, first questions

On Sun, 10 Aug 2008 14:52:42 EDT, Derek Broughton
wrote:

I haven't actually come across this myth before, but I guess I can
understand how it came about.

In the olden days of rec.ponds people would do 50% or more water changes
out. Then they'd get green water soon after refilling. The blame, all that
"fresh" water. When most likely they unbalanced the chemistry of the pond,
giving algae a chance to get a grip.

So the blanket statement of algae being caused by fresh water, is very
erroneous unless clarified. I suggest one start with small frequent water
changes and if the problem continues a tap water check may be in order....
and not just for the health of the pond. ;-) ~ jan
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us