Old 11-08-2008, 05:39 AM
kris anthem um kris anthem um is offline
Registered User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimonkey View Post
Hi All,

This is my first post. I am a veery novice gardener and have just moved to a new flat that had a long, shady overgrown garden. I've cleared a lot of the garden and cut back a lot of bushes, and cleared the moss from the path. Rather than take this all to the tip I've decided to try to compst it.

I have cut it all down and piled in in a 2m square block held together by chicken wire in a sheltered place (Under a very large camelia/rhodedendron?? tree) where it will get some evening sun.

My questions a

Should I add horse manure (I have a horse) to help it decompose?

Also, I'd like to add food scraps to it. How much food to garden waste ratio should I aim for?

And finally, there are a lot of slugs and snails in my shady garden. Are they any help to the compost heap?

Many thanks in advance for you hekp
Firstly, well done sounds as if u been busy.ur first question is easy.all types of manure will promote the breakdown of your green waste,just layer ur manure thinly amongst ur pile not too much, ur manure is precious!
Food scraps are fine,provided u don't use meat,just cut it up a bit to speed process up and remember that a variety of different size materials will break down quicker than all the same stuff such as all grass clippings..in a few weeks or months depending on temperatures u should have a pile of something that smells like the forrest floor....good luck