Old 11-08-2008, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
dyogi dyogi is offline

Default Adding seeds to compost ?

On Aug 10, 7:38 pm, wrote:
Hello, my wife and I just started a compost heap outside.
Can we add seeds to the green portion - such as avacado pits, cherry
pits, etc ?

-Thanks

I do it all the time. Seeds have very high nutrition. Most will
break down along with everything else you compost. For those that
sprout, they become instantly vulnerable to the composting process.
If your heap gets sun, you'll have weed seedlings sprouting on it most
of the season anyway (my compost heap is a nursery for thistle, for
example), so toss the avacado and cherry pits--along with the
strawberry caps and the mash from raspberry and blackberry juicing.
When you apply your compost, you may find some of the very toughest
seeds intact, but I've never had a problem with rogue cherry trees in
my vegetable garden.