Old 11-08-2008, 01:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
dyogi dyogi is offline

Default Garden Incinerator

On Aug 10, 3:43 pm, Simon wrote:
Are ashes too basic for compost piles? I've heard they are since
people used them in the past to make the alkaline part of soaps. just
wondering.

thanks,
Simon

On Aug 8, 5:09 pm, "Marie Dodge" wrote:

"Ed" ex@directory wrote in message

I already have a compost bin on my allotment but wonder if there is any
need for a garden incinerator as well? I'm referring to those small
galvanised metal bins with holes in them and a lid on top with a small
chimney.

What exactly are they used for? Apart from burning say, perennial weeds
such as bindweed, I cannot see why I don't chuck stuff straight onto the
compost heap and let it compost there.

Does anyone here use one?

We burn all diseased plant material. It doesn't go into our compost heap
but the ashes do.

I've heard master gardeners discourage the use of ashes in composting
and gardening. At the same time, I ran a wood furnace for years, and
added all the ashes to my compost pile. When the proportion of ash to
grass clippings and leaves is very low, you shouldn't have a problem.
If ash comes up as a noticeable percentage of the composted material,
consider using it on icy sidewalks rather than in your compost.