Old 11-08-2008, 05:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Omelet[_4_] Omelet[_4_] is offline

Default Can I freeze tomatoes until I have enough to can a batch?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:

"Billy" wrote

Omelet wrote:

Billy wrote:

Pesto pasta rocks, no argument here)

But what about store bought cooked vs. homegrown cooked. I can't
remember a difference like I can fresh. Can You?

lol Ever made pesto using fresh basil etc.? ;-d

oh my, the basic start for my world famous sketti sauce

Shirley, you're kidding. It's best if you can make it with just the
flowers.

I was wondering if I could use the flowers for anything.
(was remiss and they got away from me, turns out my lucky day?

Just as good is pesto made the same way but with cilantro.
Hmmmmmmm, hmm, hmm.

I planted cilantro, doesn't mean I can claim success of growing it
but "next year" the gardener says

You may still be in luck if you haven't already dug up the bed or dumped
the pot. Parsley and cilantro usually go to seed in late spring. Took me
a couple of years to figure tat out. I'd buy a starter plant of
cilantro, take it home. Inside of three weeks it would bolt and three
weeks later, I'd have an empty pot. It would have been easier to just
give the nursery the money and avoid the hassle;o) Here in California,
they will produce all winter long. Reminds me that I should get some
seeds into the ground. If you grow them in pots, tuck the seed heads
back in the pot and they will reseed themselves. That's what I do with
my chervil. I used to grow it free range but in a pot it goes away
for a couple of months and then comes back, like it is doing now.

And TOTALLY off topic, this has been a very pleasant gardening year for
me due to iron phosphate and the havoc that it wreaks on gastropods.
Every couple of weeks I toss a hand full into a bed and I don't need to
worry about it for a couple of more weeks. The lettuce patch looks
particularly nice.

I only grow parsley when I plant dill weed. :-) Gives me something to
move the Swallowtail larvae to. g

They can also live on Fennel leaves.
--
Peace! Om