Old 11-08-2008, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Garden Incinerator

"dyogi" wrote in message
On Aug 10, 3:43 pm, Simon wrote:
Are ashes too basic for compost piles? I've heard they are since
people used them in the past to make the alkaline part of soaps. just
wondering.

I've heard master gardeners discourage the use of ashes in composting
and gardening.

Hmmm. I don't think I'd respect anyone who said not to use ashes in the
garden. In compost then maybe, but as you pointed out, it's fine but not in
huge quantities.

Ash, soot and biochar are all good things to use in the garden.