Old 11-08-2008, 10:16 AM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.agriculture
[email protected] plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com is offline

Default world's finest weeding tool-- tongue-groove-pliers; a good design forrobot-weeders

Actually I found this weeder tool several years ago when fixing a
water line using a tongue-groove-pliers
and then walking back to the house and seeing thistles along the way
and using those pliers to pull the
thistles.

There is no finer weeder than a large pair of tongue-groove-pliers. A
weed that has a single stem can
be pulled up from its entire roots. Yesterday I used the pliers to
take out baby locust trees the size
of my little finger. Some snapped at the base, but several came out by
their entire roots. And it matters
not if the soil is wet or dry.

They are super effective on thistle.

What makes the pliers so effective is the fact that the grip is tight
and the pulling upwards only tightens the grip
even more.

Thistles are a breeze to pull out by their entire roots. Burdock that
has a single stem is easy. Stinging
nettle is especially vulnerable to the pliers. Some weeds
do not have a single stem and thus they are immune to the pliers.

So if you have a pair of tongue-groove-pliers, not the ordinary pliers
but the tongue-groove, then try it on
your worst weeds who have a central stem. Watch how easy it is to
weed.

P.S. the other day I saw a show on robots for agriculture designed to
weed. Their idea was to spray
some herbicide. But I think some may be able to rig a robot with these
pliers and have a mechanical
means of removing weeds. So if they design a robot weeder running on
solar energy and equipped with
tongue-groove-pliers and whenever it spots a weed with a stalk, then
go for it.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium