Old 11-08-2008, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val Val is offline

Default Adding seeds to compost ?

"dyogi" wrote in message
On Aug 11, 6:35 am, "YMC" wrote:
what about grass seeds and runners? apparently the compost isn't hot
enought
to kill them; my old gardener refuses to put the lawn mower clippings
into
the compost for this reason.

Holy smokes! For years, my compost heap was 90% lawn mower clippings--
and I usually mow when there are seed heads on the plantain, fluffy
balls of seeds on the dandelions, and seed heads on the grass itself.
The seeds were never been a problem .............................waiting
get turned under.

Do I get more weeds than I did before I mulched with lawn clippings?
Not at all. I'll add this topic to my blog, a href="http://
www.smallkitchengarden.net"Your Small Kitchen Garden/a and try to
expand on it in the next week or so.

The only reason I can think of not to put grass clippings in compost or use
as mulch is if the lawn has been dosed with weed & feed. I took all the
clippings from a neighbor who never put anything on his lawn but the
sprinkler. There were all kinds of weed heads and seeds in it that caused no
problem. The other two neighbors, whose 'golf course' lawns were regularly
gone over with spreaders full of Scott's Weed & Feed and had who-knows-what
sprayed from hose end sprayers, offered their clipping which I graciously
didn't accept.

Val