Old 11-08-2008, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jerry Hoffmeister Jerry Hoffmeister is offline

Default ants

Ok, how do I get rid of ants in the GH? I was ok with a few crawling around
but I went to make up some potting mix yesterday and found a HUGE nest in my
stash of soaked / rinsed CHC. The little ones... I first noticed them by
the smell when I jammed my hands in the CHC to pull out a handful - you know
the smell the little buggers make when you squish them? Anyway, I sprinkled
a bunch of borax in and put some of the borax/sugar "traps" on top but they
don't seem to be interested. What do you use? I'm thinking something I add
to the bin of CHC that I can later rinse out. I recently sprayed Mesurol in
the GH for snails / slugs and I no longer see them crawling on the Catt
buds, etc so I expect that would do the trick but it's pretty nasty...