Old 11-08-2008, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan Kate Morgan is offline

Default Dumped manure

"Charlie Pridham" wrote ...
Some kind person has dumped two lorry loads of fresh horse manure at
the
side of our gates to our allotments, a large grab lorry was seen
dropping
it
over the fence.

I think that was a lousy thing to do, they would have known what they were
doing all right, horse manure is very difficult to get rid of nowadays, in
the old days it could be burnt but not any more. I used to have to pay a
local farmer to take my muck heap away, he used to dump it in the corner of
a fields so that is what I do now and it rots down easily, I am using some
that is about 6 years old and it is splendid, I just spread it on the
borders late Autumn. So if you do have a corner you can dump it in that is
worth doing but take care that they don't keep on dumping it. If it is
coming from a big stable yard the chances are that there will be manure from
horses that are on medication which is not too good for your plants.

kate