Old 11-08-2008, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
paghat[_2_] paghat[_2_] is offline

Default Cherry tree

In article
, Ivan
wrote:

Hi all,

My partner suggested we plant a cherry tree on our front yard and,
before I do so, I wanted to come in and ask if there are any types of
fruiting cherries which produce pink blossoms.
I know ornamental cherries do, but I'm very interested on the fruit as
well as getting pretty flowers.

She, on the other hand, wants the pink flowers. :S

I hope we can both get what we want!!

So far as I know only white blossoms for fruiting cherries. Bare in mind
they need to cross-pollinate preferably with a closely alligned but
different cultivar to bare fruit well, and if you only have room for one,
and want pink flowers, might as well go for an ornamental since you won't
get lots of fruit without a pair.

I do think the pink flowering ornamental cherries can be a little
troublesome until they reach some degree of maturity and could easily be
lost, but the fruiting P. avis cultivars are sturdy devils, bulk up
quickly into twenty foot trees if you don't restrain them too much with
pruning.

The "cherry plum" (Prunus cerasifera) has pink flowers and plums the size
of cherries. The usual cultivar is called '****adari' and does not need a
partner with which to cross-pollinate, so it might be more what you're
after. There's a dwarf form that flowers well, but it's hybridized and
probably doesn't fruit as well, though I wouldn't swear.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
visit my temperate gardening website:
http://www.paghat.com